Promote health. Connect community. Celebrate gratitude. At Booch Organic Kombucha, we believe that healthy beverages are the basis for vibrant living. We use kombucha, the ancient elixir of yesteryear, to heal gut disturbances, one bottle at a time. We are committed to food security, socially responsible business practices, and to nourishing our community.
THE STORY OF BOOCH
Booch’s story is one of health, growth, community, and local love; it’s a story that came to fruition through a mission of healing.
Shannon Kamins, Founder and Master Fermenter of Booch Organic Kombucha, was diagnosed with Celiac disease after graduating with a degree in Health Science from Western University. The uncomfortable side effects she was experiencing, such as sharp pains and bloating, were a signal that her ingestion of gluten and GMOs were becoming a problem.
While studying at Western, Shannon began brewing her own kombucha at home. She started making 10L batches on her countertop and quickly developed a love for this ancient elixir. Next, she began using specific medicinal herbs to make it the most beneficial for her. Some of her favourite ingredients to this day are stinging nettle, chaga mushroom, wild rose petals, and bee pollen.
Inspired by her drive to heal her own gut disturbances and advocate for gut health, Shannon earned a certificate in Food Security from Ryerson University and later joined Weston A Price Foundation, where she continued learning about the effects traditional diets have on our bodies, including using fermented foods as a way to increase immune system functioning.
From fermenting oats, to cabbage, to kombucha—Shannon has become an expert in the ancient art and modern science of food fermentation, ayurveda, herbalism, and many ancient healing arts.
Her love for kombucha, coupled with her passion for cultivating community, spreading knowledge, and acting in stewardship of local organic food systems led her to open Booch, which operates on eco-regenerative and sustainable business practices, synergy, connection, gratitude, compassion, purpose, and lots of love!
Booch has become a solution to fast-paced lives, where kitchen time needed to prepare traditionally fermented foods is scarce. Putting her passion to practice, Shannon and her team brew authentic, small batch, craft kombucha locally in the Forest City for communities across Ontario to enjoy.
Booch has come a long way in its three years of being in business. With the love and support of their friends and customers, Booch has:
- Connected with dozens of local organic farmers
- Become a proud member of the Canadian Health Food Association
- Partnered with almost 400 local restaurants, breweries & cafés
- Composted over 6,000 pounds of organic matter
- Partnered with Bullfrog Power to ensure all energy consumption in their facility is green and clean
- Spent over 240 hours on Saturday mornings at the Covent Garden Market
- Grown love for her ancient elixir all around Southwestern Ontario!
- Added good bacteria to the microbiome of every single person who has ever sipped on a Booch!
- Been awarded the London Chamber of Commerce Business Achievement Award (2017)
- Been awarded the Entrepreneur of the Year through the OBBA (2017)
- Partnered up with the Millions Trees Challenge
Trust your gut—drink Booch!